p.26They are remarkable, because they live what they believe"
This is so inspiring and humbling at the same time. I feel I hold a special set of beliefs in regards to education, however, do I live my beliefs. When I teach my students one thing, am I merely living a lie, or do I hold true what I said. In one aspect I would have been living a lie. I have not been a reader. Never have been. I decided that I could no longer be a hypocrite and I bought the Chronicles of Narnia set. I have not been able to put them down. I hope that I can show my students that I live what I believe.
p. 27 'The invitation to learn is of prime importance. It must be issued as the learner first enters the learning place- and reissued continually."
I think the best way for an invitation to be accepted is by making it genuine. If it is not genuine, students will not accept. For example, if you were invited to a great birthday party, but your friend said it as if he was forced to invite you, you wouldn't really want to come. Children are the best lie detectors, so be genuine.
p.29 Examples of Esme' Codell
I really like the idea of unburdoning our students before they enter our classroom. Not that every care in the world is forgotten, but it is a great way to invite our students to be comfortatble and that you care about them. This would be a great activity during morning meeting.
p.30 "opportunity requires hard work, but it is work with a purpose."
I have always been a firm believer in work that is applicable to their lives and future life. I hate worksheets. I don't know what job makes you do worksheets. If students can see a real purpose to what they are doing, I think they will be more than willing to work hard. It is the times when there really is no purpose to their work that they don't work hard.
p. 47 'Clear and predictable routines are probably the difference between productivity and chaos for classrooms where teachers attempt to address variations among learners."
I am so scared of this! I want my classroom to allow for independence but I don't know if I am going to be able to set it up in such a way that I can prevent chaos. I would really like just one plan from someone and just have it place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment