p.1) 'The idea of differentiating instruction to accommodate the different ways that students learn involves a hefty dose of common sense, as well as sturdy support in the theory and research of education"
When I first read that, I felt relieved and afraid at the same time. I feel comforted by the notion that it requires common sense, however the sturdy support in theory and research scares the daylights out of me. I believe that I have common sense, however I lack the confidence in all of the research.
How can be more confident in that are of content? I think I need to expose myself to more literature and research in order to become more confident in that are but I think it will also require time for me to absorb and solidify all of that information.
p.3 Student Traits
Readiness-refers to a student's knowledge, understanding, and skill related to a particular sequence of learning.
When I hear the term readiness, I think of the scout motto "Be prepared". I don't think that it's fair to say "intelligence level" or 'ability'. Some students are more prepare for certain information based on life experiences and other factors, not necessarily intelligence.
Interest-refers to those topics or pursuits that evoke curiosity and passion in a learner.
I love the word passion! How I wish that someone had helped me to become a PASSIONATE learner in elementary. I had fun, I enjoyed myself, I learned. But I didn't have PASSION! I think a key to helping students is to understand them. When we truly understand our students we can give them opportunities to build that passion
Learning Profile-refers to how students learn best
How do you learn how a student learns best? I am aware of the multiple intelligences, but how can you best assess learning profiles? I think it is probably similar to interest. It is vital that a teacher connect with the student and understand what is going on in their heads
Affect- has to do with how students feel about themselves, their work and the classroom as a whole.
As mentioned before, students come to school with varied backgrounds and emotional states. It is naive to think that a student who is in the middle of a divorce is going to learn in the same way that other students learn. It also suggests to me that we as teachers need to try and influence the way in which they view themselves.
p.5) Learning Environments
"Learning environment is the 'weather' that affects virtually everything that transpires in the classroom"
I really like the analogy of weather to the environment. The only major difference is that we can do our rain dances or sun dances and change the 'weather' in our classrooms. We have a huge effect on how this environment takes shape. If we are the 'fun' class but don't do much or if we are the 'busy but bored' class or we can be the " Work-loving Celebrators" If the teacher does not value hard work or important work, the students won't either.
p.5) 'the most effective teaching does not seek transmission of knowledge isolated from human need , but rather attempts to help young learners discover the power of knowledge to reveal, amplify and develop the best that is in them."
This quote almost brought me to tears. When we look at students, do we see just students, or do we see individuals who have hopes dreams
No comments:
Post a Comment